Tuesday, March 19, 2013

the Lion of March

Like a lot of places on this side of Canada, we're experiencing a late winter storm. The kids' Karate was canceled (my 2 hours of evening time alone, daddy was at curling, gone)

So we gathered in the dining room, stoked the fire,

made some after dinner hot chocolate

And started work on this... 
 After all the finger knitting last week, we decided to make this Hoop weaving rug from Flax and Twine. I'm using cotton yarn with this colour theme. We've done much more work since this picture was taken. I will have to go on a hunt for more of this yarn. I've only 3 balls. A few more would probably do it. I hope the one store with some yarn here has what I'm looking for.
The original tutorial is shown here. Take note to look for this in the tutorial.... you must have an uneven number of spokes. They tell you how. The picture below doesn't. I had to start over. Much better now. They also tell you how to finish it. I'm going to try my next one with T-shirts like they did. A.D.D.I.C.T.I.V.E.  
It was a lovely evening with the kids taking turns finger knitting, weaving, and playing the piano. Neve takes the lessons, is learning to read the notes and Rafael plays the song by ear. I so wish he would take lessons. He's a natural. Loving his 1 Direction singing these days and his harmony making for other songs.

With this new storm and another possible on Friday, I'll happily watch March go out with a bang. As long as it doesn't show up in April. It is kind of weird to have a snow storm and daylight at 7:30pm. 

Keep warm,
Amanda

2 comments:

  1. I love this Idea Amanda do you think you could use old clothes cut into strips to do it too? and how do you finish it off at the end?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that it is strange to have snow and have it still be light after 7 pm! I left school tonight at 6:30 (lost track of time) and it was very bright and snowy. So strange....

    ReplyDelete