Monday, October 28, 2013

Blanket of love

My first attempt at a quilt.
I've never wanted to make a quilt before, as I know I'm not that precise in my seams. 
(as evidenced in the wonky square in the middle.)
But when I looked the stash of my late father's shirts, a ton of them in the colour scheme of my mother's living room, and her birthday approaching with her being with me on the actual birth day, well, that gives one a desire to create something more than a quilt.
Quilt classes were being offered at the the Flying Fox to help me read a pattern and to show me the tricks of quilting. I love those tricks. they are so clever. Thanks Julie!

It came together very quickly. More quickly than I anticipated at the end. 
I was surprised that it was almost over. 
I wanted to linger with the shirts a little longer. 
I wasn't ready to let them go just yet. 
So I slept under it the first night. 
Blanketed in my father's shirts.
His arms wrapped around me.
Happy Birthday Mom.
So glad we got to celebrate with you here.

And now a little show and tell..
My Candy Corn plate in glass.
And some sun catchers (orange ones) with fibre paper relief.
I'm sure that's not the right name. 
I'm so bad with terms. I call things blobby or melted.
So wrong for the glass world of fusing, tacking etc.
But I'm still learning and having fun at it. 
What a treasure to be welcomed into this adventure.
(P.S. I'm still trying to find a good way to take pictures of things that need light behind them.)

Cheers,
Amanda

3 comments:

  1. Oh, Amanda, I write this with tears in my eyes. What a perfect gift for your Mom...made with love, full of love and memories...perfection! Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree! that quilt is so special. That is a real "snuggle-up" quilt if I ever did see one. I bet it smells like him.
    Your mom is going to LOVE it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful! What a perfect gift. I've never made a full-size quilt. Maybe someday.

    ReplyDelete