Thursday, January 14, 2016

Lucas' bear

A childhood friend of mine had a request...
To make a bear out of an infant 0-3 month sleeper.
Not one to back away from a challenge, I accepted.

Meet the bear.

It was a side zipper onesie with this on the stomach.
I had considered putting this on the belly of the bear, 
but the belly pattern has two darts, one on top and one on the bottom. 
I didn't want the top dart to go into the Tigger face. 
Turns out, it probably would have been okay.

Accompanying the outfit was a knitted hat and mittens. 
The hat of the bear is from the mitten. 
I wet it, stretched it out and put a pompom on top.
I unraveled the second mitten and knit the scarf.

The bear pattern comes from  Abby Glassenberg's book,

I LOVE this book. I love her patterns.
The lesson with this pattern is joints.

The best part?! The neck is jointed to the body!
No fiddling with sewing the head on.
I LOVE it.
But alas, my doll joints were too big for the arms and legs, 
so I had to use button joints. 
The eyes are safety eyes with a felt circle on the back. 
The little eye brow did a lot in giving him a little personality.

I am looking forward to making this bear again, but with an enlarged pattern.
It will be made from her late father's corduroy blazer.
That will be fun, with proper jointed arms and legs.

This is a wee one to be sure.

Hope all is well and cosy where you are.
We finally have a bit of winter here today.
Cold temps and all.



2 comments:

  1. What a cool way to preserve those precious first onesies. The bear is adorable, especially the eyebrow

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool way to preserve those precious first onesies. The bear is adorable, especially the eyebrow

    ReplyDelete